As the Venture Head of Engineering at UP.Labs, you'll get to play a key and unique role in building new startups from 0 to 1 and leading teams.
You'll act as a technical architect and chief executor on our engineering team ventures. You are responsible for the technical design and delivery of the products and businesses we build. This includes everything from assisting in validating the initial business concepts, collaborating and creating the initial technical design & architecture, building Proof-of-Concept products, working closely with the product team through the product sprints and our development phases of MVP build, as well as potentially hiring and staffing your team. You will work closely with our corporate partners and our other cohorts beyond product such as design to ensure that the team is focused on doing the right thing, at the right time, and in the right way. You’ll have the support you need to unlock the potential of your team, and work with your partners to get the job done.
In this role you will:
● Lead our venture engineering teams to address genuine, real-world business problems
● Build, grow and operate successful startups, working alongside venture leadership, corporate partners and other cohorts
● Design and deliver impactful solutions to complex problems, using code or otherwise
● Create rapid proofs of concept, then scale into functional MVPs to turn concepts into tangible reality.
● Build around software best practices such as testability, security, scalability, operability etc
● Mentor and support effective teams, not hesitating to get into the weeds when needed, oftentimes writing and reviewing code with them
● Cross-pollinate learnings, best practice and insights between multiple ventures to drive continuous improvement of Engineering at UP.Labs.
● Enjoy working in a diverse, dynamic, collaborative, transparent and inclusive environment where all ideas and opinions are equally valued
You should have:
● 7+ years full stack software engineering experience with experience leading, and developing engineering teams preferred.
● Familiarity and preference working in ambiguous, fast-paced environments such as startups and growth-phase tech companies.
● Hands-on and end-to-end product build, development and delivery experience with a mix of customer interfaces (e.g web, mobile), languages and technologies
● Experience working with or managing remote, distributed teams including full-time engineers and vendors/contractors
● The ability to build scalable, high quality, distributed services
● Experience working with agile, lean and Continuous Delivery approaches, such as Continuous Integration, TDD, Infrastructure as Code, etc
● Experience building cloud native software architectures
● Strong experience in collaborating with Product teams to find effective solutions
● Strong communication skills put to use by explaining technical vision and deeply technical concepts to a variety of multidisciplinary team members
● An open, curious and humble mindset that builds on to our open, inclusive and collaborative environment
Additional desired competencies:
● Experience with any "deep tech" - AI, ML, NLP, etc.
Below are the technologies we commonly use. However, you'll have the option to choose the best tool for the job, so don't consider this list either exhaustive or immutable:
Frameworks: React, React Native, Play, Django, TensorFlow
Infrastructure: Docker, Kubernetes, Jenkins, CircleCI, Terraform, AWS
We build high-growth technology startups that enable faster, cleaner, and safer movement of people and goods. Our vision is to transform the moving world by pairing leading corporations and entrepreneurs with a proven methodology for launching and scaling software and hardware companies.
Our platform is unique in three ways:
Risk: We reward our entire team and ecosystem of partners with meaningful equity
Technology: We build and launch scalable technology products that form the basis for each venture
Industry Focus: We stay focused on the underlying fabric of society mobility and transportation
We work with corporate investors over a multi-year period to launch a portfolio of mobility-focused ventures. Our team is dedicated to the first year of a new venture’s life cycle: from ideation to minimum viable product build (and beyond) to recruiting and hiring the full-time team who will scale the business. We rapidly ideate concepts from scratch and vet them for early indicators of product-market fit.